Do you envision a world where everyone in our community experiences economic justice and financial inclusion? We do too! Please see the full job description below.
Position: Tax Preparer -Seasonal- Various Bronx Locations
Program: Vita Tax Program
Reports to: Tax Program Site Coordinator
Salary: $17.00 an hour
Posted: November 1, 2022
Start Date: January 2023
Part-Time or Full- Time Seasonal Tax Preparer- VITA Tax Program
We are the top free tax preparation community-based organization in the Bronx, with thirteen sites, including four year-round locations. We help eligible New York City residents file their tax returns and claim credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit. Since 2003, we have prepared free tax returns for more than 100,000 clients, returning over $100 million in total refunds to underserved communities.
All of Ariva’s tax program staff and volunteers are IRS-certified. All of our tax sites are sponsored by the IRS VITA program.
We are now actively recruiting experienced tax preparers to work with us as quality reviewers in the 2023 filing season. We need staff all days of the week, including evening and weekends, and can offer interested candidates’ hours that suit their schedule. Face-to-face in-person service is an essential component of this position and tax preparers work in person at one of our offices. All staff must be vaccinated and must follow our health and safety procedures in our offices.
Using IRS approved software (currently Tax slayer), complete accurate individual Federal and State tax returns in an efficient and professional manner and as required by the rules of the VITA program:
● Prepare tax returns within scope of preparer’s certification
● Ensure all required documents are completed and signed before starting the return
● Ensure intake process was performed completely and accurately
● Interview client to determine all appropriate income, deductions and credits are reported on the return
● Verify that filers’ personal information (name, social security) and banking information are reported accurately on the return
● Ensure return is marked for quality review by a 2nd qualified person
● At all times, adhere to IRS standards of conduct, including but not limited to, protecting client privacy and confidentiality
● As appropriate, consistently promote other resources available at the site that might be of interest to the tax filer, including financial counseling and asset building resources
● Follow all health and safety procedures (wear mask if no shield on site, social distance, clean working area)
● Ensure clients and visitors complete required health screenings
No particular educational background is required. (Preparer need not have a college degree or any type of background in accounting or finance). Certain skills, however are essential to this position:
● At least one year of experience- paid or volunteer- in income tax preparation is desirable
● Must pass IRS certification exam at the Advanced level (training for the exam is available)
● Knowledgeable about IRS VITA site tax preparation requirements (staff are trained in these requirements).
● Must be responsible, reliable and punctual. It is critical that staff come to work on time and as scheduled.
● Good computer skills to navigate tax software and file sharing system
● Able to work independently with minimal supervision
● Detail oriented
● Good customer service skills, assisting all taxpayers in a friendly, courteous and professional manner.
Schedule: This seasonal position requires some availability for training in early January. Regular work hours will begin in mid-January and end in late April. We have multiple shifts available weekdays, day and evening, as well as Saturday and Sunday daytime sites.
To Apply: Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to Maribel Montilla at email@example.com