Do you envision a world where everyone in our community experiences economic justice and financial inclusion? We do too! Please see the full job description below.
Position: Quality Reviewer -Seasonal-Various Bronx Locations
Program: Vita Tax Program
Reports to: Tax Program Site Coordinator
Salary: $20.00 per hour
Posted: November 1, 2022
Start Date: January 2023
We are the top free tax preparation community-based organization in the Bronx, with 12 sites, including four year-round locations. We help eligible New York City residents file their tax returns and claim credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit. Since 2003, we have prepared free tax returns for more than 100,000 clients.
All of Ariva’s tax program staff and volunteers are IRS-certified. All of our tax sites are sponsored by the IRS VITA program.
We are now actively recruiting experienced tax preparers to work with us as quality reviewers in the 2023 filing season. We need staff all days of the week, including evening and weekends, and can offer interested candidates hours that suit their schedule.
Face-to-face in-person service is an essential component of this position and quality reviewers work in person at one of our offices. All staff must be vaccinated and must mask and follow our health and safety procedures in our offices.
Using IRS approved software (currently Tax slayer), complete accurate quality review of individual Federal and State tax returns in an efficient and professional manner and as required by the rules of the VITA program:
● Ensure all returns are prepared within scope of preparer’s certification.
● Ensure intake process was performed completely and accurately.
● Interview client to determine all appropriate income, deductions and credits are reported on the return.
● Interview filer in person or by video conference.
● Verify that filer’s personal information (name, social security) is reported accurately on the return.
● Verify that banking information on the return matches the direct deposit form completed by the client.
● Request E-signature on e-file authorization forms.
● Ensure authorization forms are signed for e-signature as required before selecting return for E-file.
● Verify client received a copy of completed return in person or by email.
● At all times, adhere to IRS standards of conduct, including but not limited to, protecting client privacy and confidentiality.
● Follow health and safety procedures (wear mask if no shield on site, social distance, clean working area).
• Ensure the site and its visitors follow safety plans.
Tax Return Preparation:
During particularly busy periods, Quality Reviewers, in addition to undertaking quality review of other preparers’ returns, may themselves be expected to prepare returns if the workflow requires it.
No particular educational background is required. (Preparer need not have a college degree or any type of background in accounting or finance). But certain skills are essential to this position:
● At least two years’ experience- paid or volunteer- in income tax preparation
● Must pass all IRS required trainings including IRS certification exam at the Advanced level
● Knowledgeable about IRS VITA site tax preparation requirements (staff are trained in these requirements)
● Must be responsible, reliable and punctual. It is critical that staff come to work on time and as scheduled
● Excellent computer skills for inputting tax return information and communicating with clients remotely
● Comfortable in a fast-paced environment
● Detail oriented
● Good customer service skills, assisting all taxpayers in a friendly, courteous, and professional manner
● Bilingual English/Spanish highly desirable
● Able to work independently with minimal supervision
Schedule: This seasonal position requires some availability for training in early January. Regular work hours will begin in mid-January and end in late April. We have multiple shifts available weekdays, day and evening, as well as Saturday and Sunday daytime.
To Apply: Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to Maribel Montilla at email@example.com