Do you envision a world where everyone in our community experiences economic justice and financial inclusion? We do too! Please see the full job description below.
Position: Tax Site Intake Coordinator -Seasonal- Bronx- In Person
Program: Vita Tax Program
Reports to: Tax Program Site Coordinator
Salary Range: Hourly $17 per hour
Posted: November 1, 2022
Start Date: January 2023
We are the top free tax preparation community-based organization in the Bronx, with 12 sites, including four year-round locations. We help eligible New York City residents file their tax returns and claim credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit. Since 2003, we have prepared free tax returns for more than 100,000 clients, returning over $100 million in total refunds to underserved communities.
All of Ariva’s tax program staff and volunteers are IRS-certified. All of our tax sites are sponsored by the IRS VITA program.
We are now actively recruiting experienced tax preparers to work with us in the 2023 filing season. We need staff all days of the week, including evenings and weekends, and can offer interested candidate’s hours that suit their schedule.
The Intake Coordinator is an integral part of our tax team. They are the first person our clients meet and speak with and they have primary responsibility for ensuring a calm and positive environment while our clients wait to have their taxes prepared. They are very much the face of Ariva during tax time.
Face-to-face in-person service is an essential component of this position and intake staff work in person at one of our offices. All staff must be vaccinated and follow our health and safety procedures in our offices.
● Greet clients at the tax site and ensure they meet eligibility requirements for services and have all documentation needed to complete their tax return.
● Ensure full and accurate completion of all intake forms and written consents.
● Interview clients. Enter all required information in the Salesforce database and assist clients in completing required IRS intake form completely and accurately.
● Review client’s banking /direct deposit verification forms for accuracy.
● Assign return to appropriate tax preparer based on certification level required.
● Upload client’s file to shared portal or tax software.
● Download tax return to provide client with a copy.
● Ensure E-file authorization forms are signed.
● Ensure the waiting area is a calm environment and complies with all IRS and host requirements and maintains client privacy and confidentiality.
● Track and manage site supplies.
● Promptly communicate to Site Coordinator any issues in the intake process or waiting area.
● Follow health and safety procedures (wear mask if no shield on site, social distance, clean working area)
● Ensure the site and its visitors follow safety plans.
No particular educational background is required. (Intake Coordinator need not have a college degree). But certain skills are essential to this position:
● Must be fluent in English and Spanish
● Good customer service skills. Temperament really matters in this position. The Intake Coordinator must be friendly, patient and professional, able to manage a busy workplace with high client volume. At times, some clients are under stress; the Intake Coordinator must be able to assist those clients in a manner which minimizes conflicts.
● Able to multitask in a busy environment.
● Attention to detail with an emphasis on accuracy is important.
● Must be responsible, reliable and punctual. It is critical that staff come to work on time and as scheduled.
● Able to work independently with minimal supervision
● Good computer skills for inputting tax return information.
● Must pass IRS Intake, Standards of Conduct and Basic Tax Law online exams. (Ariva will provide training on this).
Schedule: This seasonal position requires some availability for training in early January. Regular work hours will begin in mid-January and end in late April. We have multiple sites with shifts available weekdays, day and evening, as well as Saturday and Sunday daytime sites.
To Apply: Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to Maribel Montilla at firstname.lastname@example.org