Do you envision a world where everyone in our community experiences economic justice and financial inclusion? We do too! Please see the full job description below.
Position: Program Coordinator
Program: Vita Tax Program
Reports to: Tax Program Director
Posted: November 16, 2022
Start Date: Immediately
Full- Time – VITA Tax Program
Ariva seeks a high energy, enthusiastic individual to lead and oversee our volunteer program. We operate the most established free income tax preparation program in the Bronx, with 3 year round sites and about 12 seasonal locations; we serve about 8,000 lower income tax filers annually. Volunteers are critical to the success of the program and, each year, we work with about 150 volunteers. The Volunteer Coordinator has lead responsibility for recruiting volunteers, supporting their training and onboarding, and ensuring they have a satisfying experience at our tax sites.
This job involves local travel to sites around the Bronx and requires frequent evenings and weekend hours during the three month filing season, and occasionally during the rest of the year. Face-to-face in-person service is an essential component of this position. All staff must be vaccinated and must mask and follow our health and safety procedures in our offices.
• Serve as lead staff in developing and implementing a recruitment strategy for new volunteers.
• Identify and staff volunteer recruitment events throughout the year.
• Assist with the development, maintenance, and distribution of volunteer informational materials both internally and externally.
• Promote volunteer opportunities through multiple channels including social media, newsletters, websites and partner organizations.
• Serve as primary liaison with partner organizations that provide Ariva with volunteers.
• Serve as primary contact and maintain ongoing communication with prospective volunteers.
Volunteer Orientation & Training:
• Schedule and facilitate volunteer orientations.
• With assistance from the Program Director, prepare and update curriculum and materials for volunteer training and orientations
Volunteer Support & Retention:
• Provide volunteers with support and guidance, foster a positive service environment, establish and maintain strong relationships with volunteers and build on-going connection to Ariva’s mission.
• Educate and assist all Ariva staff in establishing good volunteer support and communications. Act as a liaison between Ariva staff and volunteers.
• Develop and maintain volunteer database.
• Track volunteer hours, assist with reports as needed.
• Schedule and coordinate volunteers to staff Ariva tax sites.
• Serve as volunteers’ primary point of contact for all projects.
• Assist with planning volunteer recognition events and incentives.
• Develop and maintain a welcoming volunteer space at the organization with inspirational and engaging Ariva branding and information on how to stay engaged.
• Provide supervision and feedback to volunteers.
• Assist with evaluating the volunteer program on an on-going basis, identify gaps, recommend & implement changes, as appropriate
• Assist with the development and maintenance of volunteer policies and procedures and volunteer manual.
• Assist in writing articles and share volunteer stories with communications staff
• Assist communications staff in generating content on our volunteer program
This position is well suited for a strong generalist, with excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, who has some experience in volunteer programs, whether as staff or as a volunteer themselves.
The desired competencies are:
• At least one year experience with volunteer programs, preferably in a coordinator position
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field. Additional relevant experience may be substituted for a degree
• Excellent leadership, strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
• Strong customer service skills
• Able to motivate and encourage volunteers. Should be skillful in engaging in difficult conversations and able to handle sometimes sensitive situations
• Must be able to work collaboratively with staff, volunteers, and clients, but should also be very well organized and able to work independently in order to manage a fast paced program with multiple components and diverse stakeholders
• Cultural competence to provide services to the diverse members of our community
• Computer literate
In addition to the above core competencies, the ideal candidate would also have
• Basic knowledge of individual income tax returns
• Familiarity with social media and some or all of the following applications; Salesforce, Constant Contacts, WordPress.
Salary: $50,000 to $55,000/year, depending on experience. Ariva offers full-time employees subsidized health and dental insurance, generous paid time off and other benefits.
To apply: Interested applicants should email their resume and cover letter to Maribel Montilla at email@example.com. This posting will remain open through December 30th , 2022