Ariva's free income tax preparation program is an IRS-certified and supervised program offering high quality tax services as good or better than what you receive from paid preparers. And our services are always free of charge.
We operate 9 tax sites in the Bronx and 1 site in Manhattan and we also offer single-day tax events at more than 20 locations around New York City. Some of our sites are open year round and we serve over 10,000 tax filers each year.
Who Can Use Our Free Tax Program?
If you are a single person with an income of $30,000 per year or less
If you have dependents (children, parents, other people you support) and you earn $54,000 a year or less
We can help you!
What We Can Do For You
- Prepare and file your personal income tax return- both State and Federal.
- If you are self-employed, we can do your return if you have less than $25,000 in business expenses.
- Haven't filed in a few years? We can file the prior year returns for you as well.
- No social security? No problem, we can help you apply for an ITIN number so you can file your return.
And That's Not All!
When you come to do your taxes, at many of our locations, if you are interested, you can also:
- Receive free financial counseling and review your credit report and score
- Open a bank account if you want: direct deposit your refund and receive it much more quickly
- Referrals for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits
- Access affordable health insurance
But hey, if you want none of that, and just want to get your taxes done, that's fine; taxes is what we do.
- Free. Yes, we really mean free. No hidden cost or charges.
- High quality services. As a non-profit organization, we are here to serve you. Our program, staff and volunteers are approved and regulated by the IRS and Ariva is one of a select number of non-profit tax preparers participating in NYC's Free Tax Preparation program, an initiative overseen by the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs, to bring high quality tax services to NYC residents.
- Fast. We will efile your completed return within 4 hours. Choose direct deposit and receive it even more quickly.
- Safe. Your information is safe and protected, meeting all IRS privacy and confidentiality standards.
- Convenient. You can come to an Ariva tax site that has hours and a location that works for you. And, we're open year-round.
What Do I Need To Bring With Me?
Make your life (and ours) easier; bring all of the right paperwork with you when you come to do your taxes so we can complete your return on the spot. Bring proof of identity, as well as documents that show your income for the year and certain kinds of expenses you had that you can deduct from your taxes.
|Photo ID (such as a driver’s license or IDNYC)|
|Social Security card or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) card or letter for you, your spouse, and your dependents.|
|Birth dates for you, your spouse, and your dependents|
|Income statements or forms. You should have one (or more) of the following forms:
|Your 2015 tax return (if available)|
|Proof of health insurance for each person listed on the return (Forms 1095-A, 1095-B, or 1095-C) or Health Insurance Exemption Certificate (if applicable)|
|Form 1098-T (tuition payments to attend a university or technical college)|
|Form 1098-E (interest paid on student loans)|
|Documentation of child care payments for your children. Bring provider’s name, address, and Taxpayer Identification Number or Social Security number.|
|Records of cash and non-cash charitable contributions.|
|Checking and/or savings account number and bank routing number for direct deposit of your refund. (These numbers are on your paper checks, if you have a checking account).|
|If filing a joint return, both spouses must be present to sign the tax return and both must have the required i.d.|